From Civic Commons Wiki
This page is meant to catalog generic data platforms rather than platforms that are oriented at a specific domain or kind of dataset. For platforms aimed at specific kinds of data, please go through the Civic Ontology list.
For lists of data catalogs -- the actual data, not the software platforms behind the data -- see Open Data Initiatives and especially the comprehensive lists of open government data catalogs.
- CKAN - Data Hub including data catalog and storage system - CKAN Wiki
- DataCouch - See DataCouch.com and city-specific sites like PDX API - provides a couchDB powed API for the data from civicapps.org
- Civic OpenMedia (source)- Still in development
- DataVerse Network - For sharing research data
- Citizen DAN and structWSF at OpenStructs - With the flash-based visualization.
- CIVX (source) - Still in development
- CivicDB (source) - Still in development.
- New York State Senate OpenData Initiative (source) - Based on Drupal. A collection of Drupal modules using Socrata (for csv files) and Scribd (for .doc/.pdf files).
- DataCamp - Developed by Ruby. Actively being enhanced. With Data Management component. Has a sister project on data loading, cleaning, auditing, etc.: Brewey Framework
- Microsoft OGDI - open source data plaform for the Microsoft Azure cloud
Geospatial Data Platforms
Catalog denotes that the system links-to and provides metadata about data hosted elsewhere rather than acting as a repository for the data itself.
- Open Government Platform - Drupal modules and other components as part of the open sourcing of data.gov
- Data Hotel - open source data platform for data.norway.no
- CKAN Data Hub Software - used for many govs including data.gov.uk and The Data Hub
- Open Data Catalog - Source code used for OpenDataPhilly.org using Django.
- Open Data Directory - Search engine for open data sets published by governments, private companies and other organizations. Now indexing tens of thousands of datasets, refreshed weekly.
- National Data Catalog (source, source v2)
- OpenGov Sweden (source)
- DataTO (source) - also powers DataOTT
- OpenMissouri - Ruby based catalog used for OpenMissouri.org
- CivicApps Drupal (codebase being opened) - Based on Drupal and Developed by a third-party company. Only provide the download links and don't host the datasets.
Cloud SaaS Data Platforms
- Socrata (used by Seattle, States of Washington and Oregon, Medicare)
- Microsoft OGDI on Azure (used by Edmonton) (source code)
- CKAN (Cloud version) - CKAN has been deployed in a SaaS model in the cloud
- GovMapper Solution to publish geospacial local gov datasets
Services which are all served under one web address
- Google Fusion Tables (Only partially used by California. Not as a whole platform.)
- FigShare - Encouraging scientific researchers to publish all of their data.
- GeoCommons by GeoIQ - World Bank maps, InterAction NGOQuest, and UNEP Grid-Arendal data catalogs
- YourMapper - National, state, and local government datasets in maps, mobile, api
Data Platform Survey
This list is just meant to survey technology platforms for organizing and publishing data; for information on data catalogs themselves (i.e., focused on the data, not the software), see the pointers at the top of this page.
See the Data Standards page.